After completion of a master plan for the Groton School, a private secondary school, which included both expansion of the schools central facility, the schoolhouse, and a proposed new theater complex, KMW was commissioned to expand and renovate the historic schoolhouse.
The existing schoolhouse building, designed in 1921 by Peabody and Sterns, is an historic landmark and is positioned as the focal point of the preparatory school campus. Renovation work involved the complete replacement of buildings systems and restoration of finishes in the original classroom spaces. The Groton facility had suffered from years of neglect and inappropriate alteration efforts.
The focus of our project was to “knit” back together a building to restore its original quality. The architecture of the addition matched that of the original building in material and detail.
A thorough evaluation of all areas of the building was completed during initial design and included administrative offices, academic support, classrooms, faculty offices, music practice rooms, and a student lounge/mall. Construction was phased in order to keep areas of the building open for use. Working with the construction managers, KMW developed phased plans and details that supported complex construction sequencing.